2 Min. Read
Solved: QuickBooks Error H202 | QuickBooks Error H202 Retrieval Step By Step
QuickBooks Error H202 emerges when a company switches from a single user to a multi-user. This occurs due to disconnection to the multi-user server.
Table of contents
What is QuickBooks Error H202?
When you are using a multi-user mode. The QWB files are stored on a single server on a computer. Other systems are connected to the same network but not able to host the QWB file. Other computers are called workstations. So whenever these workstations are unable to access the company seminal file that is placed on another system, this QuickBooks error H202 pop-ups.
What Causes QuickBooks Error H202?
This error of QuickBooks named H202 occurs when subordinate computers do not make a communicate with the main server. This misconduct happens due to the following mentioned reasons:
- Hosting: The configuration of the hosting is misconfigured or not correct.
- Firewall Software: Sometimes firewall blocks the exchange of outgoing and incoming data.
- DNS server: Somehow DNS server settings are not configured correctly.
- IP Address: The error may occur when the server’s or Host’s IP address is not configured or not available to each other.
- Internal Services: Some services like QuickBooksDBXX or QBCFMonitor are not running on the respected server.
- .ND file: ND means network data file. It may be damaged or corrupted.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error H202
This H202 error can develop these types of symptoms mentioned below:
- You will be unable to open the company’s file on another computer.
- The error code of H202 will appear on the desktop.
- The software may freeze or slow down.
- Users will not be able to start multiple-user settings.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error H202?
Many convenient ways are available for correcting this error H202 of accounting software named QuickBooks. Before applying any solution that is mentioned below, you should do a backup of the QWB file so that when you start the software again you will get the original data.
It is always recommendable to use “QuickBooks Database Server Manager”. You should implement the methods considering steps to get optimum results.
Method 1:– Test Network Connectivity
To use this method/ solution you have to turn on “Network Discovery” from the server computer and open a workstation showing error H202.
Please follow all mentioned steps to check the network and ping your server:
1. Open the “Run” window from the “Start” menu of the desktop
2. After the opening of the “Run” tab, type “cmd” in the box and press “Enter” or click “OK”.
3. Now submit “ping_[servername]” and press “Enter”.
Note: While executing this respected step, remind that you have to keep space between your server name and ping. Also, don’t use brackets while writing the server name.
After doing all these steps, if you are getting late results then you have to repair your network. To do so, follow solution 2.
Method 2:– Use the QB (QuickBooks) File Doctor Tool
Open the “QB File Doctor” tool to have a solution to network-related problems. It will help to remove blockage on multi-user connections. You can also fix the company file with this tool. If you are not able to fix this problem after applying this solution, then move to method 3.
Method 3:– Correct Firewall Settings
A firewall can resist data transfer and it may quarantine some important files. It may block the server computer of QuickBooks. After completion of correct settings in the Firewall, try to open QuickBooks on a workstation that is showing an H202 error. If this H202 persists, then follow the next method.
Method 4:– Check QuickBooks Services are running
To check services, you have to look on the server that QB services are running on it or not. Follow the following mentioned steps if “QuickbooksDBXX” is providing services properly. Repeat these steps for “QBCFMonitorService” also. The steps are listed below:
- Open “Search Bar” of Windows and type “Run”.
- After the opening of “Run” windows type “services.msc” and tap the “Enter” key.
- Scroll up and down in the “Service” window, search for “QuickBooksDBXX” and double click on that.
- When “QuickBooksDBXX” properties are visualized on the display. Consider “Automatic” as the “Startup Type”.
- Click “Start” if service status is not started.
- Next, go to the “Recovery” tab.
- Select “Restart the Service” on the next three responses for service failure.
- After choosing a reply for 1st Failure, 2nd Failure, and 3rd Failure, click “Apply” at the bottom, then hit “OK”.
Note: Repeat these above-mentioned steps for “QBCFMonitorService”.
After completion of the above steps for both “QBCFMonitorService” & “QuickbooksDBXX”, open software QuickBooks on every workstation. Click on the “File” menu and switch to the “Multi-user mode” option. Once again it is showing Error H202, follow the 5th method that is mentioned below:
Method 5:– Add Server to Windows Hosts File
Firstly you have to edit the file and then you can add the server to the computer. Follow these steps:
- Follow any path mentioned below on the desktop to open the Windows hosts file.
- Hit “Hosts” twice.
- Open it by using “Notepad”.
- Now enter the new “Server IP address” and “Server name”. Tip: Use the “Tab” key in place of “Space Bar” for differentiating/separating server name and IP address.
- Now “Save” the changes.
- Finally, click “Exit”
After performing all these above-mentioned steps, try to open the “multi-user” mode. If it does not open and shows the same Error H202 on the screen, then please proceed to the next solution.
Method 6:– Create a New Folder for Your QBW File
This process is of making a fresh folder of the QBW file:
- Create a fresh folder.
- Share and set up this folder and provide access or permissions to the window so that it can share important files of the company.
- Now copy all previous database files to the new folder.
- Now try to open these files in “multi-user” mode.
Solution 7 – Set Hosting to Local Files
Please consider this important thing so that the same company file can not be hosted by other client systems: Launch software and “Press F2”. A screen showing “Product Information” will appear. Select “Local Files Only” in opposite to Hosting, under “Local Server Information”.
Method 8:– Restart QB Database Server Manager
This method is done by many users and they make a helpful way to resolve H202 error. Here’s how:
- Type “services. msc”, after opening the “Run” window and click “OK”.
- Hit “Right-click” on “QuickBooksDB18 (2008)”, “QuickBooksDB19 (2009)”, or “QuickBooksDB17 (2007)” and click “Stop”.
- Now “Right-click”, hit “Start” then close this window.
- It will display some extensions for determining file types.
- Take the cursor to the “Start” button and follow Explore🡪 Tools 🡪 Folder Options.
- Now select the “View” tab and shut the “Hide extensions” instead of the ” known file types “ box.
- Now click on the “View” tab, hit on “Show hidden files and folders”, and now clear the “Hide protected operating system files” box.
- So a “Warning” window will pop up, tap “Yes” and press “Enter” or click “OK”.
- Close “Windows Explorer”.
What Else Can You Do?
If you are not getting a proper solution to solution, then don’t hesitate to call customer care executives. Please consider this thing that if you perform the above methods incorrectly then your company’s data may lose forever. Please read all required and sapient details before performing any action.
QuickBooks Error H202 can be easily resolved by using efficient methods. To use these methods, you must keep in mind to back up all necessary and sapient files of the company. At last, “Quickbooks Error H202” can be resolved easily.